Wednesday, 28 November 2007

Week 9: 4 Legged Walks

Quick low quality playblast of where I'm at at the moment.
I've taken this into 3D with the free rig available from www.highend3d.com which by the way is fantastic- so much fun! (insert credit for makers here when I'm not half asleep!) Also am aware that there is a walk cycle out there done with this dog that is really spot on. Ahh spot the dog- random memory- how sweet! I have seen this before, but am not allowing myself to watch it again until I have completed my own animation, as I want my approach to be as original as it can be.
I'm quite pleased with this so far, considering it was all done in half a day- one morning's work. Just goes to show how really investing time in the 2D can hugely benefit 3D. Hopefully investing some more time into it over the xmas hols, it will improve significantly. It's been so fun taking this into 3D as actually it's been the opposite to most of my 2D/3D experiences in that I've found the 3D has been much easier to work loosely with, as there was no worries about loss of volumes, or drawing incorrect anatomy.
Of course there is loads I need to change- for one the tail is only half done....but its 2am and am sleepy!
Also this week, I found some freeware for doing pencil tests called Monkey Jam, it's really simple to use just plug in the scanner with a peg bar stuck on and you're away- definately made my life easier with the 2D- recommend it! :o)


Untitled from Nicola on Vimeo.


Untitled from Nicola on Vimeo.

Actually just noticed a funny clicking in one of the front legs, gonna fix this asap

Final great dane update for this week:
There's still loads of areas I need to improve, but for now this has to be put on hold to work on the mood change animation for the hectic week ahead.
Cleaned up and tail somewhat resolved
I've also simplified the outline, as I haven't had time to full study the anatomy of the great dane, and the lines in the previous animation were reflecting this confusion. Consequently, I've taken Steve's advice in keeping it as simple as possible:


Untitled from Nicola on Vimeo.

Another quick update- messed up the tail, don't want to have too much follow through in it as a great danes tail doesnt act in the same way for example a horses tail would but obviously it just doesn't work how it is, also want to simplify the outline of the spine, there's a few too many crazy lines going on there.


Untitled from Nicola on Vimeo.

Really quick first test here for great dane dog animation
Needs some really obvious tweaks, need to finish the tail...sort out the head movement etc!

Untitled from Nicola on Vimeo.

On a side note, we've been looking at muybridge references lately, and as excellent as they are my tutor noted how often you can see when an animator has used a muybridge plate to help them in their animation. As Muybridge didn't have the technology that we have nowadays when he undertook his studies, the timing of his plates aren't 100% accurate. Therefore, if animators follow these plates very closely, the quirkiness of the timing comes through in the their animation. For example there is a little horse in The Snowman at the beginning, that apparently looks so much like a muybridge sequence...I'm going to look out for this!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Carlos Fraiha said...

Hi Nikki! Thanks for the comment! How was the animation festival in Wales? I was thinking about what to do with the great dane tail... I don't have much knowledge about dogs, but I noticed in the crit that some people animated bears and the tails wouldn't move in and out, they would just follow the "rear end" movement from one side to another, left to right when the back legs move... Maybe that would work for dogs too. Still have to finish the snake, four legged walk AND the mood change =O
I'll see you on Monday!